Monday, February 6, 2012

The Bird With The Waggley Tail

I was doing my daily routine of looking through our jalousies while preparing for office this morning when I saw an “unusual” bird on our neighbor’s roof. I was actually looking for the Eurasian tree sparrows. I’m trying to confirm my observations with the Robson’s field guide regarding the plumages of the male, female and breeding male.

But my attention was drawn to a solitary bird with the “waggley” tail. I don’t know if the use of term is apt but the point is the tail is wagging. The bird has a slenderer body compared to the resident birds. Even for a short distance, I noticed that the flight pattern is also different.  “Man, this not the usual fantail or bulbul that I see every morning,” I told myself. So I took my binoculars and try to look where it went. It went to the other part of the roof of our neighbor near the miry creek. My suspicion was correct it is a wagtail!

Instead of observing it more carefully to confirm the specific species, I went down to our dining area and called my mom and brother. I wanted them to see the bird as well. But the bird flew away. While they were waiting for the bird to come, I readied my camera to document the sighting. For me, it’s really unusual, if not rare, for a wagtail to visit our place. I planned before of going to Laguna just to see a grey wagtail. And then when the white and grey wagtails visited the La Mesa Dam spillway, a longer trip is no longer necessary. But seeing a wagtail, 20 feet away from me is another thing!

It went back and I was able to make two shots. It's confirmed! It's a grey wagtail! The photos are okay but not that sharp because of the jalousies and I’m anxious about getting late for work. I waited for a few more minutes, hoping that it will show up again but I really have to leave for work. Oh, why is it always this way!



I went to work quite happy even if I will have deduction for coming in late. I have a new Bagbag, Novaliches record! But then I was also worried because the bird forages in the lot where the bird hunter lives. 

For my non-birding readers: 

Behavior: found in open country along stream and rivers, also creeks in forest and built-up areas, feeds on the ground, flies with undulating pattern, flying low up the stream when flushed and vigorously wagging its tail when landing, walking or when perched. 

Identifying Marks: medium-sized (18-19 cm), white eye stripe, grey mantle, white wing-bar, yellow-green rump, longer tail than that of a yellow wagtail, bright yellow vent, the underparts are yellow and the throat is white in winter (black when breeding). 

References: A Photographic Guide to Birds of the Philippines by Tim Fisher 
A Guide to the Birds of the Philippines by Robert S. Kennedy, et al 
A Field Guide to the Birds of South-East Asia by Craig Robson

No comments:

Post a Comment