Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Mt. Pulag Chronicles: Dream and Preparation

It was my dream since college to climb the second highest mountain in the Philippines. There were groups I knew then who go there but I wasn’t really comfortable climbing with them. I was hoping to climb with members of my old church then but nothing serious came up from the discussions.

2011

A decade after, my college organization planned a reunion with a Mt. Pulag climb expedition. Honestly, I was more interested with the climb than that of the reunion. I tried to prepare for the climb but I was at lost as to how I would properly prepare physically and how I will gear up. Since there were no instructions from the reunion coordinators, I tried to research on my own. The schedule of the climb is almost near and the weather up north is not really okay. I started getting apprehensive to join since I was targeting to take photos. I wouldn’t want to spoil my photography.

I tried to give feedbacks to the coordinators but my posts were deleted in Facebook. I was really dismayed and wondering why would they do that. I decided not to join. It wasn’t an easy decision for I have to wrestle with the Lord with some heart issues that arisen against the coordinators.

I was frustrated and angry because I felt that the concerns I raised about the climb was just ditched. In my heart I was saying, “You are so proud! Let’s see if you will get to enjoy the climb with no proper preparation and bad weather.” I was blinded by my anger that I wasn’t able to see that my heart is also proud.

2012

I shared this story with Kuya Jay, a pastor friend, during our church prayer retreat and he said that it was also his dream to climb Pulag. He encouraged me to gather church members and see if we can form a group who will join the adventure. I took a survey of the single adults of HRCC and found more than ten people who were interested.

Since I got a good number, I started researching and preparing. I scoured the internet to find helpful information regarding the climb. I searched for itineraries of previous Pulag climbers and their expenditures. I also looked for the items that they normally bring for an overnight stay up in the mountain. I searched also for key persons to contact.

Discouragements still came during the preparation. First blow: there were those who were invited who backed out because they learned I was the climb coordinator. Their main reason is my health condition. They know that I have a disk bulge and they wouldn’t risk climbing with someone like me that might end being carried using a stretcher. Other friends, who were not invited but know my plan, were also hesitant to give their approval. I got hurt and offended but I remained adamant with my position.

So I gathered those who were interested and set the guidelines for preparation. We agreed that we will prepare physically, mentally, financially and spiritually. We agreed that we will exercise. We agreed that we will give installment deposits for the climb fee. And in the event that one cannot join, his/her deposit will be reimbursed. And we agreed that we will pray.

Second blow of discouragement: the finalized schedule coincides with the wedding of church friends and Kuya Jay is also the videographer of the wedding. It was difficult to decide on another date. We have agreed that we will not climb on days that there are important church activities, namely, Sunday worship gatherings, camps, retreats and conferences. I’m thankful for my team who upholds our commitment to our church so moving the schedule became easier.

Third blow: one by one, those who signified attendance are posting “Maybe” in Facebook or are totally backing out because of conflicting schedule, wife being pregnant or leaves not approved. If my team composition would go down from ten it means more expenses. I could only encourage those who have conflicts with schedule to pray and have a positive outlook. I couldn’t coerce them not to back out, of course. Good thing that there are some Christian friends outside the church who were really ready to climb and I willingly accommodated them.

Fourth blow: the weather condition during March became unpredictable. Sometimes it’s so sunny, sometimes it’s raining continuously. I really feared that our climb would be spoiled by the rain.

Fifth blow: my disk bulge pain recurred. Bad timing! Good thing that my office applied for an HMO and our card was delivered on time for me to start on my physical therapy. Praise God! Since the rehab center is just near our house and the BGH Rehab Center therapists are very good and strict to me, my recovery is quite fast. Praise God!



Sixth blow: the North Korea rocket launch was scheduled during our climb. Kuya Jay advised me to wait. I was already supposed to buy our bus ticket to Baguio when he texted me to consider the situation. One of the news sources said that there is a Luzon-wide evacuation plan because of the dang
er that would be caused by the rocket launch.
I was thinking, “What if Kuya Jay says that we call it off? Hmmm. I will still climb Mt. Pulag!” Look at my proud heart. So I prayed to the Lord. I mustered all the faith I have and asked that He intervenes. The day North Korea was supposed to launch the rocket was suspended due to bad weather condition. The following day they proceed with the launch but it was a failure.
Seventh blow: Mom acted weird two days before our climb and some friends told me that it’s a possible mild stroke. How can I leave for Pulag when Mom is not okay? So I had her checked up and go through lab tests to determine her health condition. Praise God! Her amnesia incident didn’t recur and all her tests went okay and no remarkable thing to worry about.


In my next post I will share the Pulag adventure of twelve brave and daring souls.

No comments:

Post a Comment