Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Certified Birdnut

Last Monday, the recommendation that I become a Certified Birdnut was approved. I was recommended by Kuya Bob Kaufman and the approval was made by Romy Ocon himself, the Philippine premier bird photographer.


I was so elated. It’s like I’m dreaming when I was reading the thread in the Philippine Bird Photography Forum where I belong but it’s true. I’m now a Certified Birdnut!

The approval of Ka Mastah Romy is really something. We haven’t met personally but we have one exchange of e-mails. I have high respect for Ka Mastah because he really excelled in wild bird photography, even if he is color blind, and because of his humility.


But I’m more amazed with the words used by Kuya Bob when he recommended me. He said, “I can vouch for his integrity.” Those are heavy words! He would put his name at stake for recommending me. “Integrity” is a loaded word in itself. I don’t know the intent of his word but, for someone like me who works with finances, it means honesty, truthfulness and reliability. Perhaps in bird photography it means I do my assignment, I don’t cheat my photos or I respect other photographers/birders and the subject of our photography.


I’m honoured and humbled to be considered a person with integrity but it also entails responsibility. I have to uphold the recognition. I’m thankful to God for this “achievement.” It’s really an honour to be in the league of great wild bird photographers. I’m thankful to the Lord because it is only by His grace that I could produce some good bird images. I’m thankful that He gave me the opportunities, for the skills and for PBPF who inspired me and taught me not to settle for mediocrity.

So, yes, like what I mentioned in my previous blog, bird photography is indeed madness. Being a birdnut means that we are really crazy for our Philippine avian treasures. Being a birdnut means we would go great lengths to photograph birds. We will hike mountains. We will wade rivers, streams and the beaches. We will risk being attacked by insects, snakes, wild animal or hostile individuals. We will crawl the ground. It could be madness but I would say it is passion!

1 comment: