Monday, January 9, 2012

Lifer

76 lifers. 67 photo lifers. 20 video lifers.

My birding for the year 2011 ended with 76 lifers. I’m very happy! For me, seeing 76 species of the more than 600 plus birds that can be seen here in the Philippines is already an achievement. Out of the 76, I was able to photograph or document sighting of 67 birds and taken video of 20 birds. For readers not into birding, lifers are birds seen for the first time in the wild or in their natural habitat. So birds found in zoos are not counted.

I only started seriously watching birds last April 2010. I also became a member of Wild Bird Club of the Philippines on this month. My first guided trip was last February 2010 with Jops Josef and Maia Tañedo. I owe much of my lifers to these birding friends.

I’m actually into photography and taking photos of birds is what I enjoy most. Even if I can’t produce a shot like that of Romy Ocon, I would still take photos. I love looking back at my photos and reminisce of my birding adventure. It reminds me of the thrill of discovering a lifer. It reminds me how my brother and I commuted to Coastal Lagoon and walked hundreds of meters just to get to the birding location. The difficulty of someone without a car and yet all those difficulty disappears when we see a lifer. It reminds me when I fell on my back in Mt. Talinis just to see the Flame-Templed Babbler.

Friends ask me why I prefer taking photos of birds. For one, birds always remind me of God’s faithfulness and gracious provision. This year, I would be writing blogs about my birding adventure (I have to fulfill a promise to my birding friend Ruth Francisco). I would be writing some of the reasons why birding is such a fulfilling hobby.

1 comment: